Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Parenting Confessions

It was one of those hectic nights a few days ago. I am trying something new in the kitchen, my youngest (18 months) is whining over something he wants  , my oldest daughter (10 yrs) is trying to make something for herself in the kitchen too, and the middle daughter is tuning in youtube and the volume is really high. I can't stand all this noise and the "everything is going wrong" situation and I lose it...just because I can. I screamed, I yelled , I shouted,  I took all the electronic devices , I lifted my youngest and put him in another room and then I began to blame my oldest for things that she probably can't take responsibility for.. just to make myself feel better (  very ashamed of that). What stroke me that night is that even when I am at my angriest and most frustrated my daughter still felt safe and secure to reply to my accusations and clear them off herself. She didn't yell back or cry . She didn't stay silent and just take everything in. She stayed calm, talked to me in a very respectful way and argued back. And actually at that moment- even though I just lost my temper and did wrong- I actually felt proud of myself and of my daughter. Because if she can still talk to me in this kind of situation ,when I am most frustrated, then I must me doing something right. No one is perfect, but we can all concentrate on what we are doing right and continue improving in the areas that we fail behind.



No comments:

Post a Comment